Well, I pulled a late one last night and got some reports done. You can now see on the front page (just go into your Dashboard and click ‘Blog statistics’):
- Unique visitors and number of pages viewed ever, in the last 28 days, in the last 7 days, in the last 24 hours
- Number of visitors and pages viewed each day for the last 14 days (with a little barchart!)
- Last 10 search words which brought people to your Wiblog
- 10 most popular search words
- Last 10 visitor locations (country and city)
- 10 most popular visitor locations (country)
- 10 most popular pages viewed
- 10 most popular platforms (that’s the visitors operating system, like Windows, or something much better like Linux)
- 10 most popular browser
- 10 most popular screen sizes
And then you can click some lovely links to view:
- The last 100 search words used and which page the searcher arrived at on your Wiblog
- The top 100 most popular search words which brought people to your Wiblog
- The last 100 visitor locations (country and city)
- The top 100 most popular visitor locations (country)
- And the top 100 most popular pages
I know some people will ask so I’ll answer your question now: sorry, no flags (yet).
Anyway, have fun. My grateful thanks go to the clever chaps at hostip.info for their geolocation API. I’ll let them know we’re the people hitting their servers several times per second, and hopefully they’ll allow us to keep getting that lovely geolocation information.
It’s been quite a while since I said I would write a new statistics package for all Wiblogs, but I’ve finally started. In fact the plugin is installed and is currently gathering information about visitors.
You can’t se any reports yet as basically I haven’t written that part. However that’s the (relatively) easy bit. And as we save all manner of information – browser, operating system, screen size, search words etc – there’s a million and one ways to slice the information, so I should be able to do some interesting reports for you.
One new little bit of information being saved is the city of the visitor, as well as their country. However the city is pretty flaky, so don’t expect it to be 100% correct. Still, it’s interesting.
Right, must dash. This code won’t write itself.
Time, as it is wont to do, is moving on. And although I have precisely no time, I’m going to tell you about a few things I’d like to do with the Wibsite. Maybe by posting this here I’ll find some time to actually do some of this. Here’s my might-do list:
- Fix the login thing so you don’t have to log in again to use the boards.
- Create some form of advertising system so that those Wibloggers who wish to support the running of the Wibsite can put some unobtrusive adverts on their blogs. No pressure at all.
- Potentially redesiging the site. I get the feeling, though I may be wrong, that the way the main Wibsite looks doesn’t “feel” right. It was a radical departure from the old look, but maybe too radical. Some feedback on that would be appreciated.
- Think of a point number four.
So, is there anything else you’d like to see? Consider this a call for agenda items for the Wibsite Parishoners Annual General Meeting.
Our lovely hosting company Dreamhost have suggested more than once that I upgrade the software which runs the Wibsite as it’s slightly out of date. If this was a minor upgrade I wouldn’t mention it, but it’s a major one. There are a LTO of differences with the admin area (I know, just as you got used to the old one) but hopefully it will be easier to use.
I’m hoping the actual upgrade itself will go OK. I just tried it on another site and it seems fine, but if things really go wrong I’ll roll back and .. well, I don’t know what I’ll do then. If everyone could cross their fingers, toes and other crossable extremities I’d be most grateful.
You can now add videos easily to your posts (and pages) using the nifty new video buttons. For more help see this page: http://wibsite.com/help/adding-images/
And here’s a sample video…
Hopefully this will work. And hopefully uoi’ll see the new buttons to do it…
By the way, I’m *not* that Chris Taylor.
I’m embarrassed to say I forgot about this little Newsroom with all the hullaballoo of moving the site and then Christmas. This thread reminded me, so I’m going to get all my intentions in gear and start newsrooming again.
So, what’s been happening with the Wibsite? Firstly, and most obviously, we moved the Wibsite to a new server, new hosting company, and a new platform (the wonderful WordPress). Everyone has shiny new blogs with a massive choice of layout themes, and for the most part there were few problems transferring everyones posts and comments. We’re also looking at ways to grow the community, through such things as a special “Invite” feature.
We’ve also got the beginnings of a help section, that should answer many questions about WordPress and the new Wibsite. If anyone has any suggestions for things they’d like to see in there, please get in touch. And we’ve also set up a special mobile version of the Wibsite, for those of use with pixelly-challenged screens.
So, what’s next? Soon we’ll be installing a plugin that will allow you to insert videos (from YouTube and other places) really easily in your blogs. That will prove popular, I’m sure. We’re also going to try to regularly update the “This just in” blog with funny, interesting or noteworthy links. Well, that’s the idea.
Right, that’s it for now. I really will try to keep this updated, so if you have anything you’d like to see here or on the Wibsite in general PLEASE tell us. This is your website, we’d like to make it as fantastic as we can.