OK, I’ll admit this is turning into a very long-winded process. However it appears there is a light at the end of our collective tunnel thanks to Matthew Smith who is helping to make sense of the tangled mess that the current Wiblog system is. For the more technical of you the problem has been about character encodings, and trying to get everything into UTF-8.
The other good news is that about half of the Wiblog themes have been converted to the new system, Once the rest are done – and I’ve added a selection of other fantastic themes – we should be just about ready to start moving people over.
What will happen is this:
1) Dave, Rhys and myself look at the new system and decide if it’s shiny enough
2) The shine bedazzles us like a troopers new boots and we know we’re ready to go. We switch off posting/commenting for the old Wiblog system. This is known as D-Day.
3) Matthew provides us with properly encoded backups of every Wiblog
4) We create the new blogs in the new system and import in the backups (this will take a few days)
5) As each blog is created and tested we’ll contact the owner with their new blog details
6) We transfer wibsite.com to the new place and the current server will be retired
7) We get sent copious amounts of chocolate, and eventually are sanitised (is that the right word to be made into saints? I think so)
This will, I’m afraid, take at least a few days which means that you won’t be able to write on either the old or new Wiblog blogs after D-Day until we contact you to say your new blog is ready. And even then you’ll need to wait for the wibsite.com domain to move to the new place.
It’s a complicated and long-winded process, but it will make life better for all of us once it’s done.